Students take legal action amid suspicions of medical entrance exam fraud

An exceptionally high success rate in the medical school entrance exams in Flanders has raised suspicions of large-scale fraud. Several students are taking legal action to force an investigation after three candidates were caught using ChatGPT during the exams.

The number of students taking legal action has risen to nineteen, their solicitor, Christophe Vangeel, confirmed on Thursday. He said that summary proceedings are likely to be initiated at the civil court on Wednesday.

As places are limited, close to a thousand candidates who passed the exam will not be able to start the programme

Of the 5,544 people who took the entrance exam in July, almost half passed, marking a significant increase on last year's pass rate of 18.9 per cent. However, as places are limited, close to a thousand candidates who passed the exam will not be able to start the programme.

ChatGPT

Following the discovery that three students were caught using ChatGPT during the exam, concerns were raised about potential widespread cheating. On Thursday, Flemish education minister Zuhal Demir announced that she was launching an investigation into the laptops used during the exam.

"I deeply regret that the recent medical school entrance exam has become so controversial"

On the same day, the chair of the examination board, professor Jan Eggermont, announced he would resign from his position with immediate effect. He had previously stated that there was no concrete evidence of large-scale fraud, attributing the high pass rate to the board's decision to make the exam easier this year.

Restoring public support

"I deeply regret that the recent medical school entrance exam has become so controversial," Eggermont said in a written statement announcing his resignation. He added that he hoped his decision would help to calm the heated debate and "restore public support for these important exams".

"More than 1,700 prospective medical students want clarity as soon as possible"

Bart Claes, the chair of the Flemish Parliament's education committee, will convene the committee early next Thursday to discuss the matter. "The academic year is about to begin, and more than 1,700 prospective medical students want clarity as soon as possible," said Claes.

 

#FlandersNewsService | © BELGA PHOTO NICOLAS MAETERLINCK


Related news

Website preview
Flemish universities to train medical students for war injuries
From next academic year, medical students in Flanders will receive training on treating war-related injuries, according to VRT NWS. The move...
belganewsagency.eu

Share

Get updates in your mailbox

By clicking "Subscribe" I confirm I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy.

About belganewsagency.eu

Belga News Agency delivers dependable, rapid and high-quality information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from Belgium and abroad to all Belgian media. The information covers all sectors, from politics, economics and finance to social affairs, sports and culture, not to mention entertainment and lifestyle.

Every day, our journalists and press photographers produce hundreds of photos and news stories, dozens of online information items, plus audio and video bulletins, all in both national languages. Since the end of March 2022 English has been added as a language.

For public institutions, businesses and various organisations that need reliable information, Belga News Agency also offers a comprehensive range of corporate services to meet all their communication needs.

Contact

Arduinkaai 29 1000 Brussels

www.belganewsagency.eu