New digital platform aims to reduce drug trafficking in port of Antwerp

A new certification system for containers was introduced at the Port of Antwerp on Monday in an effort to reduce illegal drug trafficking. Certified Pick up monitors the release and pick-up of containers and is "an important step in the digitalisation of container transport", the port authority said.

For the time being, the new data platform processes 60 per cent of all containers unloaded at the deep-sea terminals. The potential chaos that transport companies feared last week has already failed to materialise. Over the next few weeks, the remaining 40 per cent of users will be migrated to the new system.

Around 2,500 containers are collected from the deep-sea terminals at the port every day. This process was previously done using PIN codes, but the new system applies to the entire logistics chain: trucks, barges, rail, customs, shipping agents and terminals. The main aim of the new system is to make the container process safer and more transparent. ​

According to the carriers, there were technical problems during system testing. As a result, the port opted for a phased roll-out. The platform is expected to be fully operational by the end of January.

"The system is working well and is being constantly monitored during this launch phase," said the port authority. "Feedback from users is taken into account immediately. We are currently working on solutions to improve the performance of the system further."

To ensure a smooth transition, the port asks all parties - shipping companies, shipbrokers, container terminals, forwarders, logistics companies and transporters - to register. The system already has 16,000 unique users.


#FlandersNewsService | © PHOTO ARTERRA

Related news

Website preview
Port of Antwerp still flooded with South American cocaine
Drugs, especially cocaine from South America, continue to flood the port of Antwerp, the semi-annual figures from Belgian Customs show. In the...
Website preview
12 arrested in Antwerp drug trafficking raids
Police arrested 12 suspects during 19 house searches in and around Antwerp on Wednesday morning as part of an investigation into drug and weapons...

Get updates in your mailbox

By clicking "Subscribe" I confirm I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy.


Belga News Agency delivers dependable, rapid and high-quality information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from Belgium and abroad to all Belgian media. The information covers all sectors, from politics, economics and finance to social affairs, sports and culture, not to mention entertainment and lifestyle.

Every day, our journalists and press photographers produce hundreds of photos and news stories, dozens of online information items, plus audio and video bulletins, all in both national languages. Since the end of March 2022 English has been added as a language.

For public institutions, businesses and various organisations that need reliable information, Belga News Agency also offers a comprehensive range of corporate services to meet all their communication needs.


Arduinkaai 29 1000 Brussels