Flanders wants to equip all its roads with LED lighting by 2027

A total of 40 per cent of the lamp posts on motorways in Flanders are equipped with LED lighting. Now the Flemish Transport and Public Works minister, Lydia Peeters, wants to speed up replacing traditional bulbs with LED bulbs in the remaining 60%. She has asked the Roads and Traffic Agency (AWV) to replace the other lamps with LED by 2027.

The minister is aiming for more than a doubling of the savings, namely 4 GWh/year. It corresponds to an annual saving of 1.4 million euros. Besides, the LED lighting can be dimmed remotely and individual light points can be switched on and off.

The government plans to invest 25 million euros to make this conversion.



#FlandersNewsService | Flemish Minister of Mobility, Public Work Lydia Peeters during a plenary session of the Flemish Parliament in Brussels, 09 November 2022 © BELGA PHOTO (JONAS ROOSENS)



Get updates in your mailbox

By clicking "Subscribe" I confirm I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy.

About belganewsagency.eu

Belga News Agency delivers dependable, rapid and high-quality information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from Belgium and abroad to all Belgian media. The information covers all sectors, from politics, economics and finance to social affairs, sports and culture, not to mention entertainment and lifestyle.

Every day, our journalists and press photographers produce hundreds of photos and news stories, dozens of online information items, plus audio and video bulletins, all in both national languages. Since the end of March 2022 English has been added as a language.

For public institutions, businesses and various organisations that need reliable information, Belga News Agency also offers a comprehensive range of corporate services to meet all their communication needs.


Arduinkaai 29 1000 Brussels