Bpost collects 171 tonnes of aid for earthquake victims in Turkey

Bpost's aid campaign for earthquake victims in Turkey has generated 171 tonnes of basic necessities, a press release from the postal company said on Thursday. The 656 post offices in Belgium served as drop-off points for donations from 21 February to 31 March.

Nine trucks have transported food, hygiene products and blankets to Istanbul. There, the Turkish postal company Ptt As took over to distribute the goods to the people most in need. Another 11 trucks are due to leave for Turkey in the coming days.

70 per cent of all donations came from Belgian individuals, while the other 30 per cent was donated by companies. "Mutual aid and solidarity are strong values that bpost promotes," said Jos Donvil, CEO of bpost Belgium. "We can be proud of our logistical strength."

The director general of the Turkish postal company, Hakan Gülten, is grateful for the donations and solidarity. "The support helps us enormously to get through this difficult time."

Turkey and Syria were hit by devastating earthquakes in February, which killed more than 57,000 people and injured another 100,000. In total, more than 15 million people were affected by the earthquakes.



Get updates in your mailbox

By clicking "Subscribe" I confirm I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy.

About belganewsagency.eu

Belga News Agency delivers dependable, rapid and high-quality information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from Belgium and abroad to all Belgian media. The information covers all sectors, from politics, economics and finance to social affairs, sports and culture, not to mention entertainment and lifestyle.

Every day, our journalists and press photographers produce hundreds of photos and news stories, dozens of online information items, plus audio and video bulletins, all in both national languages. Since the end of March 2022 English has been added as a language.

For public institutions, businesses and various organisations that need reliable information, Belga News Agency also offers a comprehensive range of corporate services to meet all their communication needs.


Arduinkaai 29 1000 Brussels