Belgium summons Israeli ambassador over "very disturbing" images of Gaza flotilla activists

Belgian foreign minister Maxime Prévot (Les Engagés) has summoned the Israeli ambassador following what he described as “very disturbing” images showing the treatment of activists detained after Israel intercepted the ‘Global Sumud Flotilla’, an aid convoy attempting to bring humanitarian assistance to Gaza.

“People are being held captive, tied up, pushed face down, and a minister is spreading their humiliations via social media,” Prévot wrote on X, referring to footage shared online by Israeli security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir.

“Among those prisoners are also Belgian citizens. This situation is unacceptable and violates the fundamental principles of human dignity,” the minister added. “All detained persons must be treated with dignity and released immediately.”

Prévot said Belgian diplomats had also been instructed to secure consular access to the detained Belgians “as soon as possible”. “Their rights must be guaranteed,” he said.

The footage shared by Ben-Gvir appears to show activists being brought ashore in the Israeli port of Ashdod after the flotilla was intercepted. Several people are seen handcuffed and kneeling with their heads to the ground. In one sequence, a person shouting “Free, free Palestine” is wrestled to the ground.

“This is how we welcome those who support terror. Welcome to Israel,” Ben-Gvir wrote alongside the video.

According to Israeli newspaper Haaretz, the footage was filmed after the activists were taken into custody. Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu distanced himself from the images, saying the footage “does not align with the values of Israel”, while also calling for the activists to be expelled from the country “as soon as possible”.

Italy also reacted strongly to the treatment of those detained. Prime minister Giorgia Meloni and foreign minister Antonio Tajani said in a joint statement that “it is unacceptable that these activists, including many Italian citizens, are subjected to treatment that violates human dignity”.

“The Italian government is immediately taking all necessary measures, at the highest institutional level, to secure the immediate release of the Italian citizens involved,” the statement added.

The flotilla’s interception was followed live online earlier this week, with activists broadcasting footage and sharing their location via digital tracking tools.

Image from a video of Flotilla activists blindfolded and kneeling while Israeli national security minister Itamar Ben Gvir mocks them. © PHOTO AGENZIA FOTOGRAMMA / ROPI via ZUMA PRESS


Related news

Website preview
Supporters gather in Brussels to back new humanitarian flotilla to Gaza
The Belgian delegation of the Global Sumud Flotilla organised an event in Brussels on Sunday to mark the departure of part of a new humanitarian...
belganewsagency.eu

 

Share

Get updates in your mailbox

By clicking "Subscribe" I confirm I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy.

About belganewsagency.eu

Belga News Agency delivers dependable, rapid and high-quality information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from Belgium and abroad to all Belgian media. The information covers all sectors, from politics, economics and finance to social affairs, sports and culture, not to mention entertainment and lifestyle.

Every day, our journalists and press photographers produce hundreds of photos and news stories, dozens of online information items, plus audio and video bulletins, all in both national languages. Since the end of March 2022 English has been added as a language.

For public institutions, businesses and various organisations that need reliable information, Belga News Agency also offers a comprehensive range of corporate services to meet all their communication needs.

Contact

Arduinkaai 29 1000 Brussels

www.belganewsagency.eu