Belgium commits to submitting Social Climate Plan to EU by 15 June

The Brussels and federal governments have committed to completing their contributions to Belgium's Social Climate Plan by 15 June, paving the way for the country to finally submit the plan to the European Commission. Flemish Energy minister Hans Bonte made the announcement on Wednesday in the Flemish Parliament.
Belgium has yet to submit a Social Climate Plan to the European Commission, despite having already missed last summer's European deadline. The plan is designed to protect vulnerable households from the costs associated with the new CO2 emissions trading system for buildings and road transport, known as ETS-2.
The national plan is a prerequisite for accessing funds from the European Social Climate Fund. Belgium's share amounts to 2.21 billion euros, comprising just over 1.65 billion euros in European funding and approximately 552 million euros in co-financing. Under the agreed intra-Belgian distribution, Flanders would receive 43.42 per cent of the Belgian allocation - equivalent to around 959 million euros.
"Unfortunate" delay
Bonte described the continued absence of a submitted plan as "particularly unfortunate", noting that Flanders had completed its part of the work some time ago. The Brussels Region and the federal level had not yet done so.
At Tuesday's Consultation Committee (the meeting between Belgium's various governing entities, ed.) it was agreed that both would finalise their contributions by 15 June. Bonte said he was counting on all parties to keep their word.
The minister said there was no immediate budgetary problem, as measures Flanders had already taken this year could be financed retroactively. However, he warned that the delay was damaging to Belgium's credibility, casting the country as "a poor pupil on the European stage".
#FlandersNewsService | © BELGA PHOTO NICOLAS MAETERLINCK
Related news