Average Flemish diet still dominated by animal products

The diet of the average person in Flanders consists of the same amount of meat and fish as it did 10 years ago, according to a new government report on the "protein shift", De Morgen reports on Tuesday.

In 2014, people in Flanders got about 39 per cent of their protein from plant-based food and the remaining 61 per cent from animal-based food. These numbers have barely shifted in the last decade, coming in at 41 per cent and 59 per cent, respectively, in 2023.

Consumer data reflects the slow change. Between 2016 and 2022, the ratio of animal to vegetable protein has remained relatively stable. Products such as tofu, vegetable burgers and legumes increased by 9 per cent in 2016, while the purchase of meat and fish only reduced by 1.9 per cent.

The Flemish government's Green Deal Protein Shift aims to reverse the meat-to-vegetable ratio. By 2030, it wants to see people getting 40 per cent of their protein from animal products and the remaining 60 per cent from plant-based sources.

"The central message of the narrative is half and half: choose a plant-based meal half of the week. This objective corresponds to the 40/60 ratio," the government said in an overview of its plan.


Related news

Website preview
Flanders launches new label for animal-friendly products
A new label for animal-friendly products, Beter voor Dieren (Better for Animals), is to be introduced in Flanders, minister for Animal Welfare Ben...
Website preview
Despite increased attention to animal welfare, consumers still choose the cheapest meat
Although people are increasingly concerned about the welfare of farmed animals, they still too often choose the cheapest and least animal-friendly...

Get updates in your mailbox

By clicking "Subscribe" I confirm I have read and agree to the Privacy Policy.

About belganewsagency.eu

Belga News Agency delivers dependable, rapid and high-quality information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from Belgium and abroad to all Belgian media. The information covers all sectors, from politics, economics and finance to social affairs, sports and culture, not to mention entertainment and lifestyle.

Every day, our journalists and press photographers produce hundreds of photos and news stories, dozens of online information items, plus audio and video bulletins, all in both national languages. Since the end of March 2022 English has been added as a language.

For public institutions, businesses and various organisations that need reliable information, Belga News Agency also offers a comprehensive range of corporate services to meet all their communication needs.


Arduinkaai 29 1000 Brussels